Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Displaying Mind Maps in a table

Home Forums eaDocX queries Displaying Mind Maps in a table

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vivienne Hall
    Participant

I have a mind map and want to display the contents in a table i.e. Central Topic, Main Topic, Topic, Sub Topic. Has anyone done this?

eadocX Support
    Participant

I’d try just creating a QuickDocument from the Centraol Topic. eaDocX will then try to understand the structure of the model, then you can customise the results you get from there.

Vivienne Hall
    Participant

Hi – thanks for your response. I haven’t got Quick Documents – see attached. I’ve tried creating a document but it is building the relationships between the main topics, topics and sub-topics that I’m not getting.

Update – Found Quick Documents

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Vivienne Hall. Reason: Updated that Quick Documents found
    Vivienne Hall
    Participant

File with print screen of Extensions/eaDocx menu failed to upload. Essentially, there is no menu option for Quick Documents being displayed.

Update – I was wrong – looking in the wrong place.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Vivienne Hall. Reason: I found the Quick Documents menu option
    Vivienne Hall
    Participant

I tried creating a QuickDocument from the Central Topic but all this did was create a document with only the Central Topic.

I’ve subsequently generated it from the diagram and then set it to display elements only. I’ve then been able to configure sub topic class to display topic and sub class but not any higher levels.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Documenting EA Mind Maps with eaDocX is new to me, and I’m not 100% sure I know what output you’d like to seem, but this is how I created my document:

1. Right-click on the Central Topic, and created a Quick Document. This looks for interesting strcuture in the model, but disappointingly, didn’t find much 🙁
    2. Changed the Profile for <>Classes to print Inline, not as a table
    3. To get a nice nested set of Word headings, I decided to print the children of each ‘level’ in the mind map using ‘Add Related Element’. (in the Profile, it’s in the Attributes of Related Elements’ tab, the bottom button. This tells eaDocX to print whatever it finds at the end of a relationship in whatever way that ‘thing’ normally prints. So I needed to specify that I wanted eaDocX to follow an ‘Association’ relationship type, in ‘either’ direction, but only to <>Classes
    4. I then did the same for <> and <>Classes, but kept the <>classes printing in a table.
    5. This seemed to produce a nice nested set of headings, with the leaf-level sub-topics in tables.

There are lots of other ways to do this, but this at least seemed to print a sensible initial document.
    For example, I also added an additional attribute to my sub-topic table, to print a hyperlink to any other associated sub-topics, just in case mine was not a simple tree-structure model.

Like I said, lots and lots of other ways to do this, but I hope this gives you some pointers.

Vivienne Hall
    Participant

Thank you for you help. This is what I did yesterday. It works for inline but not for displaying a table with the full path i.e.

Main Topic Topic Sub Topic

I’ve managed to get a table with Topic and Sub Topic. I’ll pursue this. Very new to EADocX so still finding my way around.

Thanks for all your suggestions though.

eadocX Support
    Participant

If you’re feeling brave, then have a look at ‘multi-hop relationships’ in the help.

Vivienne Hall
    Participant

:laugh: I tried but couldn’t work it out 🙁

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download