Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries eaDocX Profile dialogs

Home Forums eaDocX queries eaDocX Profile dialogs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Miroslav Rusnak
    Participant

Dear eaDocX Team,

While reading your online documentation, I found that “Profile selection dialog” should be displayed when creating New eaDocX document. However no dialog is displayed when new doc is created and also I cannot find any option in menu, context menu, settings etc. with aforementioned dialog. Please see following link to your documentation https://store.eadocx.com/help/index.html?making-a-word-document-into-an-eadocx-document.htm

Similar situation is with “Auto generating profile” dialog. See following link to your documentation https://store.eadocx.com/help/index.html?auto_generating_profiles.htm.

Please give me guidence how to invoke those dialogs, seems to be very useful feature.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Miroslav Rusnak

eadocX Support
    Participant

That bit of the help is out-of-date. (The best version of the help is always that which is included with the product. That gets updated each time I create a new release (though I know there are some places where it needs updating)).
    The web version, and the PDF versions are usually older.

As for this function, we removed it some time ago, even though it looks useful.
    The problem with offering pre-built profiles is that they assume your model works in a specific way: that, for example, Requirement elements link to Component elements with a ‘Realization’ connector. But maybe you didn’t do things that way: maybe you used a ‘Dependency’ instead.
    In that case, the pre-built Profile just won’t produce anything useful.

The new experience for when you open a Word document which has no eaDocX content, is to just tell you that there is no EA content in your document, and ask you to add some.
    1. Place the cursor in the Word document where you want to add some EA content
    2. Choose package you want to add
    3. Right-click in EA project browser, and choose eaDocX / Add to document / New section.

THEN
    eaDocX will analyze what you have in the package and create profiles based what kinds of elements are in the package, and how you have linked them.

This is MUCH more flexible than using fixed Profiles, and gets you a good-looking document much faster.
    I will remember to update the online help in the next release.

Miroslav Rusnak
    Participant

Hi,

thank you for your explanation.

My experience is, that in new eaDocX document, adding new content section does not update profile section (Profile Tab remains empty). Similarly in existing Quick document if I add new content section with different element types (e.g. Test Case), profiles remains the same, which causes to ignore those section since corresponding Profile is missing.

This is inconvenient because the document may change the content definition (and Element Types) over time and adding profile manually is just too tedious.

Can you please verify my scenarios?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Miroslav

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download