Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries eaXL and attributes of classes

Home Forums eaDocX queries eaXL and attributes of classes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stefan Schmied
    Participant

Hi,

the new version of eaDocX sounds very promising. Therefore I have started playing a little bit with the
    new functionality. I guess a lot of requirements can be solved with the new export/import function provided
    by eaXL.
    Perhaps my question is obsolete and it is already possible, but I would like to export also the attributes of a class (or other elements). For my understanding it would be greate if the Excel output contains attibutes of class in the same way as for example classes and packages are provided (with this “sub-package structure”).

As I said, perhaps it is possible, but I don’t know how.

Can you give me a hint?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
    Stefan

Adrian Support
    Participant

Hi Stefan,

eaXL allows you to export attributes / method etc from a class and other elements where they exist.

To output them:

1. Within the “Columns” tab select “Display Compound Attributes” – that will then include additional items in the columns check list box

2. Select “Attribute Summary” for attributes or “Method Summary” for operations – or any of the other summaries that may be of interest.

Attached is a screen shot illustrating the output of a simple class with 2 attributes and 1 operation.

At present we only output the Compound Attribute items as a list within a single cell; not import.
    We have not decided if, and how best, we could output 1 attribute per a line whilst ensuring integrity within Excel. And of course if there is a demand for such a feature. Your comments welcome.

I hope that helps – any further questions do ask.

Regards

Adrian

Stefan Schmied
    Participant

Hi Adrian,

ok, I see. I would like to see the description or for example tagged values of these “attribute summary”. But this is not possible, right?

Thanks
    Regards,
    Stefan

Adrian Support
    Participant

Hi Stefan,

You’re correct in that having consolidated the attributes into a summary we no longer have the links to the underlying information for each attribute (same for other summary items). Not least a view on how to display if we retain the information for a class element within a single line.

If fact, you have highlighted an example for which outputting an attribute per a line would allow us to display the relevant related information.

We are thinking about it however, as per my previous note, it is about how best to represent this within Excel. We have some ideas, however as always we need to consider how it would be presented in a way that is useful. A simple way would be to output multiple lines for the class element (other elements as well) – 1 for each attribute /operation/etc and rely on the user i) being clear about what they are asking to be output and ii) being careful if they make changes which they may wish to import.
    All possible but …

What do you think?

Regards

Adrian

Stefan Schmied
    Participant

Hi Adrian,

yes, I see the point. From my perspective I would be happy to have something like:
    Add attributes/operations of class as a substructure, but with a additional headline for each parent. That means that each
    “summary” would need a separate way to configure it. Now you have “elements” and “colums”. To configure attributes/operations of classes it would by good to have the same possibilites.
    But perhaps it is feasible to add attribtutes/opterations of classes (or others) on a separte Excel tab and to add a simple link on “overall” view . In that case the current “Attribute summary” would be on a separate Excal tab and a link could be added to the name of the class.

Do you see what I mean?

Anyhow eaDocX is a very helpful tool an I try to push it, so my company hopefully will use it in different projects. Especially the eaXL is really helpfull when it comes to import existing information or to export parts of information for different purposes.
    In any case more information of attributes/operation of classes would, for my perpective, increase the benefit of eaDocX.

Thank your support !

Regards
    Stefan

Stefan Schmied
    Participant

Hi Adrian,

yes, I see the point. From my perspective I would be happy to have something like:
    Add attributes/operations of class as a substructure, but with a additional headline for each parent. That means that each
    “summary” would need a separate way to configure it. Now you have “elements” and “colums”. To configure attributes/operations of classes it would by good to have the same possibilites.
    But perhaps it is feasible to add attribtutes/opterations of classes (or others) on a separte Excel tab and to add a simple link on “overall” view . In that case the current “Attribute summary” would be on a separate Excal tab and a link could be added to the name of the class.

Do you see what I mean?

Anyhow eaDocX is a very helpful tool an I try to push it, so my company hopefully will use it in different projects. Especially the eaXL is really helpfull when it comes to import existing information or to export parts of information for different purposes.
    In any case more information of attributes/operation of classes would, for my perpective, increase the benefit of eaDocX.

Thank you!

Regards
    Stefan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download