Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Insert Section from Model Views?

Home Forums eaDocX queries Insert Section from Model Views?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Participant

I’ve created a Model view in EA, and want to select the elements from the model view to insert into my eaDocx document. When I select an element and ‘Insert Selection with current selection’, instead of taking the element from my Model View, it selects the selected item from my Project Browser, even when Project Brower is closed. Is there a way to have eaDocx ingore the Project Browser and insert an element (or package) from a Model View?

Aaron
    Participant

Forgot to mention that I’m on version 3.2.1.10

eadocX Support
    Participant

eaDocX currently doesn’t support creating sections from Model views.
    BUT
    This has been requested before as a feature, and as soon as we can figure out where in the EA data model a ‘model view’ and its contents are saved, we’ll be adding it. But so far, we can’t find it!

Aaron
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response!

Aaron
    Participant

Just to follow up…we were using Model View as a way to filter elements that belong to a particular project (we are using a Tagged Value to assign a project number to an element). Our requirements are not usually documented within a single project package – instead, we are trying to mainting a holistic model of our entire production enviroment, and add to it as time goes on (rather than have our requirments chopped up into a buch of separate project doucments). Using the tagged values allows us to attach a project number to an element, and add notes describing what change was made. Trying to identify elements spread across a huge EA model is a pain in the a$$, which is why we use a Model View to create a filter and only look at elements with Tagged Value = to ‘Project X’. Once our model view is created, we were hoping to just insert elements from the model view right into eaDocX. In the meatime, if you have any other suggestions on how we might be able to accomplish our original intent (pull in a wide array of elements that are scattered throughout multiple packages within a large system model), we’re open to anything!

Thanks!

eadocX Support
    Participant

A couple of suggestions.
    Have you tried adding eaDocX sections which are eaDocX “Element Reports”?
    These are designed to do exactly what you describe: create lists or tables of elements from anywhere in the model.
    They can be used either using eaDocX’s own search criteria, or use an EA Model Search (which is the mechanism you’re probably using to produce your model views).
    In both cases, you can select e.g. a list of requirements, from anywhere in the model, where a TV has a specified value.
    You can also format the report to print the results in whatever way you want.

I’m confident this will do what you want: I’ve just tried, and it works fine: took a couple of minutes.

Tip: I created my sample data by looking at a bunch of requirements in Excel (using the new eaXL feature in eaDocX Corporate Edition) and created and set the tagged values that way – MUCH faster than setting each one by hand. See the examples in the eaDocX Help under ‘Excel’.

Aaron
    Participant

Great…thanks for the response. I think those options will work out nicely!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download