Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Is 3.5 mins normal to insert one section. Why?

Home Forums eaDocX queries Is 3.5 mins normal to insert one section. Why?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard Lay
    Participant

With 200 sections it is taking over 3.5 mins to do a single insert of a section into the document when working with a local eap file. Is insertion time dependent on size of the document?

eadocX Support
    Participant

200 SECTIONS!!!!!
    If you need 200 sections, that might I humbly suggest you’re not using eaDocX correctly.
    Frankly, I’m amazed it even works at all. Surely this is an unmanageable document???

All our testing is on documents with 2-10 sections.
    One of the (many) issues with having lots of sections is the number of times eaDocX has to search through the Word document to check for duplicates etc.

The way intend you to use eaDocX is a add a big chunk of your EA model into a section, then exclude the bits you don’t want, either by specific exclusions, or by just not having a Profile for elements you don’t want.

eadocX Support
    Participant

…and who’s going to READ a document this big ????

Richard Lay
    Participant

I did not know I was being so silly. But we ARE doing real work, not testing. Using collaboration, reviewers can only comment down to the section level. With hundreds of elements we need comments on each one. If we divide this we have to manage multiple documents.

So the answer to the question is that it cannot handle complex documents.
    Do you really search through each time for duplicates? It is time to use some supporting data structures.

Richard Lay
    Participant

The document is 120 pages and is a full report as a consulting deliverable. Being able to make changes and republish quickly is important capability. We will have a dozen or so reviewers, some who will read the whole thing and some who will concentrate on parts. Once complete the document will be constantly referred to in order to resolve specific issues about elements.
    I hope this answers your question.

There seems to be a misunderstanding… Your comment “Using collaboration, reviewers can only comment down to the section level” is not correct.
    Any collaboration item (comment, question, vote or compliance) can be added at package, diagram, element or attribute of an element level, not just at section level.
    In the web browser a reviewer can select any part of the document and the add a comment icon appears in the left hand margin of the document to allow comments to be added there. So you don’t have to change your document structure just for collaboration comments to be added.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download