Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Table Calculations

Home Forums eaDocX queries Table Calculations

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Doug Blake
    Participant

Is there any chance you could explain how the number applied to column widths in the profile spec relate to actual column widths in the output document?
    DGB

eadocX Support
    Participant

The number is measure of Pixels.
    It comes from the fact that eaDocX inserts text into Word as HTML, and it’s the same width=xxx variable which you might use when specifying an HTML table.
    It turns out that, by trial an error, the width of an A4 Portrait page, with Word default margins and gutter sizes, is about 600, which is why the user interface uses that as a guide when warning you how wide your tables are.

Doug Blake
    Participant

What I was getting at is that the column widths dont seem to be actually fixed to the values set in the profile and depend on the contents. Once the cell is full and text wraps, the cell seems to get bigger.

eadocX Support
    Participant

I’ve also noticed some odd behaviour from Word, where it change widths of tables. I think this is Mr. Gates ‘helping’, in that way that he sometimes does. I;ve tried telling him not to, by making the column widths ‘fixed’ but he seems to ignore this is the HTML we send to Word.
    If it’s a serious problem, then post an example, and I’ll have a look.

Doug Blake
    Participant

I am not finding it a problem at the moment. Here are my observations

Setting a 3 column table to 400, 80, 70 is nowhere near a page width, and it seems these numbers are used as a minimum. If the text in the 400 column expands to over 400, the column seems to expand so that eventually the table spans the full width of the page. To overcome this I noticed that setting the 400 column to some number greater than would be necessary for a full page width accomplishes a table across the full page with the 400 column using as much space as required.

So I use 800, 80, 70.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download