Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries A Profile for each section

Home Forums eaDocX queries A Profile for each section

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vinicius Sobral
    Participant

In a report I want to generate, I have 2 ways of printing a specific class element of stereotype ‘x’.

First I would like to report all the classes of type ‘x’ that appear in a diagram. For that purpose, I created a section in my document, in which I added the diagram I would like to report, and a profile to specify how these elements should be printed. For example:

[table]
    [tr]
    [td]Name[/td]
    [td]Description[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]x1[/td]
    [td]This is the x1 class[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]x2[/td]
    [td]This is the x2 class[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Next I want to create another section and report all the ‘x’ classes with their links. For example:

[table]
    [tr]
    [td]Name[/td]
    [td]Has relation with[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]x1[/td]
    [td]y1[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]x1[/td]
    [td]y2[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]x2[/td]
    [td]y3[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

However, I have already defined in the profile the way these ‘x’ elements should be reported (the first section). So I would have to load a new profile and print each section separately to achieve this.

It would, perhaps, be easier if I could define a different profile for each section that I create. If I am not getting something wrong (please excuse me), what is the possibility of having this feature in a next version?

Theo van der Donk
    Participant

This would be a great feature – it would be so powerful to define different formatting for different sections. For example, it allows all included components in a diagram in section 1 to list only their name and description, but in another section, list for another diagram many more details for contained components. +1!

eadocX Support
    Participant

This will certainly not be in the next version (3.3) which will go into Beta testing towards the end of Feb 2013.
    We will think about it for a future version.
    I worry about the complexity this will create in the user interface, so that’s where I need to think some more. If I can find a way to make it understandable, then it’s possible.
    Remember, the goal of eaDocX is to make life simpler, and leave you more time to more interesting things!

eadocX Support
    Participant

If you REALLY need to do this, then there is a simpler alternative.
    Element reports.
    These have their own formatting for their contents, so if you only need a few of them, create an element report, and define new formatting for it. There’s no limit to how many reports you can create, so no limit as to how many different ways of representing the same element/stereotype.

Richard Colvin
    Participant

I’ve just come across this thread looking for the answer to the same original question. But IMHO the suggested solution is not really practical. I would like to apply different profiles to different views (diagrams) on the same components and have different information from the components printed out in each case. Even if I created an element report section for each component type in my diagram, I not sure I can restrict the content to those components in the appropriate diagram. Also, unlike Profiles, the presentation created for a element report can’t exported and re-used in another document (AFAIK) which is a big problem for me.

For me there are two separate concerns here: selecting elements – either from a diagram or a query of some sort and presenting the selected elements – i.e. what’s defined by a profile or the very similar Report “formatting”. Personally, I would like to be able to define the latter in a single manner which can be preserved and used across multiple projects to present the a set of elements, how ever they are selected.

eadocX Support
    Participant

This can be done.
    When you create a Profile, it gets saved inside your Word document. So, if you create a Word Document Template (docm or dotx file) from the document, then each time a user creates a new document from the Word Template, they will get the Profile. This might take you part of the way ?

Richard Colvin
    Participant

Agreed. I can create a single profile and share that across documents: but, for example, if a create and element report, it seems to me that the report cannot be reused in another document. But that wasn;t the main problem to be honest, which was to be able to apply a different Profile to different sections.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download