Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Cross reference within a cross reference

Home Forums eaDocX queries Cross reference within a cross reference

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Radomski
    Participant

I’m currently reporting on Use cases and creating a cross reference report with all of the User interfaces linked to it.

Under the user interfaces are GUI Elements, and I have requirements linked to those which I would like to cross reference too – but it appears that we can only go ‘one level deep’ with cross referencing.

Any chance of allowing cross references within cross references? (or ‘Cross-reference-ception’ as I like to call it).

eadocX Support
    Participant

Wow! This is tricky one.
    Can’t see any possibility of implementing this. The reason is that eaDocX only starts to create cross-reference reports only once the ‘main’ document sections are generated. Creating a cross-reference to a cross-reference might easily result in eaDocX going into an endless loop, which would be very hard to detect.

As an alternative…

If I understand your problem correctly, you might add details of each User Interface element as you describe each Use Case, and make the UI elements document a list of their Requirements, using the ‘Advanced’ option for the relationship. This allows you to specify multi-hop relationships: UI –>children –> GUIElement –> relationship –> Requirement.

Also, are you trying to avoid printing the same Requirement twice? If so, remember that this was an issue for manually-created documents, for obvious reasons. When a document is generated, this isn’t an issue, as EA has the single version of the Requirement text.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download