Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries export/import of attributs & operations with eaXL

Home Forums eaDocX queries export/import of attributs & operations with eaXL

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jörg Witzel
    Participant

Hello,
    i would like to suggest an improvement of the new eaXL extension. At the moment attributes and operation of elements are not treaded as child elements ( In the UML netamodel this might be the correct interpretation). But the ea project browser display operations and properties as sub-objects.

UseCase: We use EA for datamodelling. But the departments we do this for have no UML knowhow. Thus for our projects it would be very helpfull if i could convert a class or list of classes with the attributes into an excel file, send this excel to the department experts for review and correction and reimport the resulting changes expecially of the attribute descriptions into the ea.

Regards
    Jörg

Adrian Support
    Participant

Hi,

I understand your Use Case.

We are keen to offer different options to output other information for elements, however one issue with Excel is that if we output information over more than 1 row we need to ensure there is a mechanism to ensure that we (internally) and you (the users) understand which element the attribute etc relates to. Hence the reason for including summary cells.

It is all too easy to lose context as there is always the risk that a user does some manipulation on the rows and the context could be lost – is this a risk that would be acceptable?

Other options we have considered is adding a column that displays the attribute(etc) owner?

Comments/thoughts always welcome on what and how you would like to see the information.

Thanks and regards

eaDocX support

Jörg Witzel
    Participant

Hello,

> We are keen to offer different options to output other information for elements, however one issue with Excel is that if
    > we output information over more than 1 row we need to ensure there is a mechanism to ensure that we (internally)
    > and you (the users) understand which element the attribute etc relates to. Hence the reason for including summary cells.

My suggestion is to handle Attributes and Operations the same way as nested objects. I.e. you already have a mechanism to handle for example Activitities within Activities. To use row-grouping for the hiearchy was a good idea. The same should be done for Attributes and Operations.

> It is all too easy to lose context as there is always the risk that a user does some manipulation on the rows and
    > the context could be lost – is this a risk that would be acceptable?

Yes. I think the “check-for-changes” mechanism (forgor the correct name) you already have is good enough to prevent corruption of the modell.

> Other options we have considered is adding a column that displays the attribute(etc) owner?

Yes – that could also be an idea. However such a colum should be read only.

Best regards – keep up the good work !
    Jörg
    Comments/thoughts always welcome on what and how you would like to see the information.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download