Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Exporting to Excel

Home Forums eaDocX queries Exporting to Excel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Randy Andersson
    Participant

I am trying to export a package with use cases and attached / linked requirements (to each use case) to Excel and the only thing that comes across is the package name and the first level of use cases (not the sub use cases, nor the requriements) I have tried to use the Element tab and select Requirement, but they still do not come across.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Adrian Support
    Participant

Hi,

To help me answer the question can you confirm:

1. That the missing requirements are within the package tree from which you are outputting – if not then I can advise how to pull them in.
    2. That you have enabled “Output Child Elements” – so that we look inside the elements which may “own” the requirements.

Let me know and I’ll try and provide the appropriate answer.

BR

Adrian
    eaDocX support

Randy Andersson
    Participant

The package tree contains Use Cases. Some of these Use Cases contain sub-use cases.
    Each of teh use cases (parent level and sub level) have “implements” requirements whcih are linked from our requirements model elsewhere in the project model.

I have enabled the Output Child Elements, but the display is no different.

thanks
    Randy

Adrian Support
    Participant

Hi Randy

If you have child elements enabled that should output the children within the current package, subject to the element type being selected.

eaXL does not directly output elements outside of the current tree – however, depending on what you want to do.

1. If you want output details of requirements that are related to each use case then you can use the “Related Attribute” to link to related requirements. You select the element type then the “Add Relationship Attribute” adding the detail that you require for each column. Note in this case the output row will be for the element i.e. use case and the cell for the related attribute will be a summary. You can add several related attributes to output different attributes.

2. If you want to output the requirement as a separate row – then their isn’t an automatic output of related elements however, when I I need to do this I create a diagram of the required Use Cases and then use the EA “Insert Related Elements” – add the requirements to the diagram and then use eaXL to output the contents of the diagram.

3. Create an EA search that finds the required items and then output the results from the search.

So in summary:
    1. Could gives you a summary list of related requirements
    2. Would output the requirements but requires you to pull them into a diagram
    3. Would provide greater flexibility – but may require a bit of SQL but if you need to repeat often then may be worth doing once and available for future occasions.

BTW: the reason we didn’t go down the route of trying to pull in linked elements as a features was the complexity with trying to define a usable set of rules. In fact all we would have done is provide a different means of doing the “search”.

I hope that provides some help – any more questions do ask.

Regards
    Adrian
    eaDocX support

Randy Andersson
    Participant

Adrian

Thanks for your suggestions. I am still not able to reproduce what I am looking for.

can you provide screen shots of what you are doing or at least your results so I can see what you are getting?

Thanks
    Randy

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by Randy Andersson. Reason: forgot the word NOT
    Adrian Support
    Participant

Hi Randy,

I’ve attached a simple model which outlines some of the options I suggested regarding using eaXL.
    [Looks like the model wouldn’t upload – so added the screenshot diagram – which I hope helps]

If you look at the “Screenshots” diagram I’ve put together samples – with descriptions and screenshots which I hope you can reproduce. I’ve also put some odd notes in packages but this probably doesn’t add much value.

I hope this is what you are looking for – but if not (and easy to see other potential requirements) – I suggest you send me a sample or add something to the model and indicate what is needed, and I’ll see what we can do.

BR

Adrian
    eaDocX support

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download