Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Extract diagram notes into a table

Home Forums eaDocX queries Extract diagram notes into a table

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Markus Bauer
    Participant

Hi,

all of our sequence diagrams contain a note, which describes the user story that is covered by the diagram and the task id of the corresponding task that lead to this diagram, for example “User story: US-123, task id: T-546”. There might be multiple user stories touched by a single diagram (e.g. when depicting the initialization of a feature component), so that more than one user story is listed in the note.

To be able to search for a certain user story in the generated document, this information should additionally be listed in a table below the diagram (Word won’t find text within an image).

Is there an easy way with eaDocX to extract information from a diagram’s note element into a table? Or what other approach would be appropriate to get the same information into a diagram as well as into a table printed below that diagram?

Thanks and regards
    Markus

eadocX Support
    Participant

Hi Markus,
    There is also the option to print diagram.notes for any diagram – just choose that option under eaDocX / Tools / Options and Settings / Diagram / Print notes for Diagrams.
    This will add the diagram notes after the diagram title.
    Is that what you need ?

Markus Bauer
    Participant

Hi,

no, I am not talking about the Note attached to the diagram, but about Note elements added to the content of the diagram. So each diagram may contain multiple Note elements and one of them contains the information about user story and task id.

Thanks and regards
    Markus

eadocX Support
    Participant

Ok – so there is no way we eaDocX can do that.
    Normally, if you need really specialized generation of documents, you can use an eaDocX/EA script – a kind of mini-generator. eaDocX passes the script the identity of the element(s) you are trying to generate, and you can do whatever you like, so long as you send eaDocX back a simple string of HTML.
    The exception to this is for generating diagrams, because this doesn’t just put some HTML into the document: it does a copy/paste of the diagram image, as well as setting various Word features so that, for example, diagram numbering works.
    So this is why you can use a script to generate diagrams.

Markus Bauer
    Participant

Hi,

this is why I can use a script to generate diagrams? You meant “can’t”, right?

A more general question about scripts, where do I need to place them to be accessible for eaDocX? I put the APITest example to all of the scripting groups, but when I switch to “Document using EA Script”, the following script selection dialog is empty. I am using eaDocX 3.9.5.0.
    What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks and regards
    Markus

eadocX Support
    Participant

Whoops – quite so – CANNOT use a script.:-)
    My scripts are all in a ‘normal’ script group, which seems to make them live in the t_script table of the repository. That’s where eaDocX looks for scripts.

Markus Bauer
    Participant

Hi,

thanks for the information. It doesn’t seem to work for me, though. I will create a new request for my scripting problem, as it is independent from the original request here.

Thanks and regards
    Markus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download