Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Floating Licensing Consistency with EA

Home Forums eaDocX queries Floating Licensing Consistency with EA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Fuller
    Participant

Create a floating licensing solution that is, if not completely integrated, at least consistent with other EA extensions such as RAQuest, etc.

The current method of managing floating licenses is counter intuitive and not at all consistent with EA itself. The typical user expectations are that license should be able to be installed, and subsequently managed, using a clearly identified license administration utility. Provide indication of successful installation of a license key or file. Further, provide a method of releasing licenses explicitly instead of automatically when add-in windows are closed and disposed.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Believe me when I say that we would LOVE to make use of the EA native floating licence mechanism. But Sparx don’t provide and API to use it (as of the current version 10).
    So we had to create our own mechanism, as this is what our customers said they wanted, and they also said there were some aspects of the EA approach they said they didn’t like.
    So, there is just one key, shared by many users, and the key ‘knows’ how many people can use it at the same time. So you can put the key onto your intranet for anyone to use.
    Also, the key knows that it should release itself if it hasn’t been used for just 10 minutes. This is made deliberately short, so that you can have the largest number of users sharing the one key.
    ..so we really have thought about this!
    Also, please feel free to post comments on the Sparx site, encouraging them to make their licence service available: we’ll change to use it in a heartbeat.

David Fuller
    Participant

Even if you aren’t able to use the EA method as does RA, it would be helpful if you would follow the paradigm whereby a license is specifically installed and managed.

The inception of this point of view:
    I have a DocX corporate floating license that, for the life of me, I cannot seem to get allocated to the instance of EA Ultimate that I am using. I cannot even seem to validate the LSA even has it installed properly. Ironically, currently, I don’t even need the floating license! It was purchased to be consistent with our EA floating licenses.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download