Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Follow-on Element References

Home Forums eaDocX queries Follow-on Element References

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dries Gerryts
    Participant

I have a task that traces to a screen which in turn traces to a use case. The latter traces to a requirement.

Task —> Screen —> Use Case—>Requirement

I need a report that shows:

Task Name
    Task Alias
    Screen Name
    Screen Alias
    Use Case Name
    Use Case Alias
    Requirement Name
    Requirement Desciption.

Please give me some direction. I had a look at the “Hop” feature on the Advanced tab but had no luck. Maybe I do not understand the concept properly.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Multi-hop relationships are one of the hardest features in eaDocX, and that’s after we deliberately tried to simplify it!
    I guess you’ve found the ‘Advanced’ button on the relationship page, where you can specify the relationship ‘hops’. This page, and the ‘Add Hop’ page which follows, allow you to describe all the relationships between the source element – in your case, ‘Task’, and the target.
    We designed this to print single attributes of distant elements – in our case, the distant element was the ‘Release’ to which an element is linked.
    This is fine, of you just want to show a single attribute of the distant element.
    If you want to show many attributes of the distant element, or – as in your case – the route of how we get to that element, then multi-hop isn’t really suitable. What gets lost is which of the intermediate nodes is linked to which other one.
    This is why we developed the ‘relationship table’ idea, where you define the relationship once, then the list of attributes to print at the end of it. This works OK for a single ‘hop’, but not for the multi-hop AND multi attribute situation which yo’re describing.
    All I can suuggest is creating your report using more hyperlinks, and fewer multi-hop links. So, create a report with the Tasks and their related Screens, with a hyperlink between the two.
    Then, where the Screens are printed, print both attributes, and a link to their related Use Cases. Etc for the other links.
    Not as nice as a simple table, but w could never figure out what a ‘simple table’ would look like which did all of this.

Dries Gerryts
    Participant

Closed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download