Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Include Sub States in Table

Home Forums eaDocX queries Include Sub States in Table

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Boxall
    Participant

Hi
    I’m evaluating eaDocX at the moment and I’m using it to document a state machine. In the document I would like to include a table listing the states and their descriptions. However the generated document only includes the 3 main “super” states and misses the sub states within these.

How do I get exDocx to include the sub states in the table? Ideally in the same (or similar) format to the main states.
    Thanks

eadocX Support
    Participant

Good question!
    Because of how EA saves data about States and their sub-states, this is slightly more complicated than we’d like, but we have to work with what EA provides. Or, adopt a different modelling style. (see (2) below)

1 – Using the EA Default Style.
    ——————————————-
    If you want to document the sub-states of a state done EA-style, then the ‘parent’ State isn’t saved in EA as a simple ‘State’ element: EA makes it a ‘StateMachine’ element (looks like a blue oval with some sort of dumbbell shape inside it).
    So, the key to getting eaDocX to document it correctly is to define profiles for:

• StateMachine: if you want to make it document its child states, then make the StateMachine document ‘Inline’, and also have document its Children – the ‘Sub-elements’ tab has a drop-down which has ‘Children’. I usually call this ‘Sub-States’ or something like that
    • Then the individual States can then be documented e.g. in a table.

IF you want to get all the super-states and sub-states together into one table, then you can create an eaDocX Element Report which will collect up all the states into one flat list, but it will miss-out the StateMachine 🙁 .

2 – Using a simpler Modelling style
    ————————————————
    You can get around this, by usning a more straightforward modelling style, which is different from the EA default.

I don’t normally use the ‘StateMachine’ element at all – I don’t see the point.
    A State is a State, which may or may not have sub-states, so I generally drag/drop the sub-states under their ‘real’ parent states. The parent state can then have a diagram of it’s sub-states, but the model overall looks simpler. I then give the states which have sub-states a different stereotype (e.g. <>), so that eaDocX can be configured to document <>State elements as Inline, documenting their diagrams and children, but normal States as document as simple Tables.
    Then, you CAN have the option of a flat list of all the states, large and small. The StateMachine Element isn’t needed.

About the only problem I can see with the second approach is that whilst the EA model looks more ‘normal’ a UML reader, it isn’t what an EA novice will create, so you’ll have to get your fellow-modelers to adopt the same approach.

..told you it was a good question.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Good question!
    Because of how EA saves data about States and their sub-states, this is slightly more complicated than we’d like, but we have to work with what EA provides. Or, adopt a different modelling style. (see (2) below)

1 – Using the EA Default Style.
    ——————————————-
    If you want to document the sub-states of a state done EA-style, then the ‘parent’ State isn’t saved in EA as a simple ‘State’ element: EA makes it a ‘StateMachine’ element (looks like a blue oval with some sort of dumbbell shape inside it).
    So, the key to getting eaDocX to document it correctly is to define profiles for:

• StateMachine: if you want to make it document its child states, then make the StateMachine document ‘Inline’, and also have document its Children – the ‘Sub-elements’ tab has a drop-down which has ‘Children’. I usually call this ‘Sub-States’ or something like that
    • Then the individual States can then be documented e.g. in a table.

IF you want to get all the super-states and sub-states together into one table, then you can create an eaDocX Element Report which will collect up all the states into one flat list, but it will miss-out the StateMachine 🙁 .

2 – Using a simpler Modelling style
    ————————————————
    You can get around this, by using a more straightforward modelling style, which is different from the EA default.

I don’t normally use the ‘StateMachine’ element at all – I don’t see the point.
    A State is a State, which may or may not have sub-states, so I generally drag/drop the sub-states under their ‘real’ parent states. The parent state can then have a diagram of it’s sub-states, but the model overall looks simpler. I then give the states which have sub-states a different stereotype (e.g. <>), so that eaDocX can be configured to document <>State elements as Inline, documenting their diagrams and children, but normal States as document as simple Tables.
    Then, you CAN have the option of a flat list of all the states, large and small. The StateMachine Element isn’t needed.

About the only problem I can see with the second approach is that whilst the EA model looks more ‘normal’ a UML reader, it isn’t what an EA novice will create, so you’ll have to get your fellow-modelers to adopt the same approach.

..told you it was a good question.

Paul Boxall
    Participant

Hi
    I got this kinda working using method 2. However each of the <> states creates it’s own table in the document rather than all the states being in one. It’s close enough though 🙂

Thanks for your help
    Paul

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download