Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Package structure in EA from Excel with eaXL

Home Forums eaDocX queries Package structure in EA from Excel with eaXL

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Guillaume Finance
    Participant

Hi,

I’d like to import a structure of packages and subpackages from Excel into EA. Here is an example:

P1
    –P1.1
    —P1.1.1
    —P1.1.2
    —P1.1.3
    –P1.2
    –P1.3
    P2
    –P2.1
    –P2.2
    –P2.3

When I run an import with eaXL, I get
    P1
    -P1.1
    –P1.1.1
    —P1.1.2
    —-P1.1.3
    — —P1.2
    – — –P1.3
    – — —P2
    – — —-P2.1
    – — — —P2.2
    – —- — —-P2.3
    I tried grouping packages in Excel but that’s ignored by eaXL. Is there any way to achieve creating a structure of packages?
    As a workaround, I guess that I could create a Tagged Value and define a script in EA, but it would be best to have it native in eaXL.

Thanks,
    Guillaume

Adrian Support
    Participant

Hi Guillaume

I am sorry to say that the way that eaXL works means that what you seek is not currently possible. When importing a package eaXL will add the package as the child of either:
    – the package if defined in the preceding row
    or
    – the parent package of the element in the preceding row

As the worksheet is effectively stateless there is no information (as present) that would indicate that a package needs to added as a peer rather than as a child.

I can see solutions that would provide this as an option but that is subject to a review and decision by our design authority!

BR

Adrian

Guillaume Finance
    Participant

Hi Adrian,

Having the option to define the parent package of a package to be import into EA with its elements (classes, requirements…) would be useful.
    I can see a workaround but it’s best for the users to have such feature native in the tool (eaXL).

Thanks,
    Guillaume

Adrian Support
    Participant

Agree – but like many things it comes down to how complex we want the interface to be. The more complex, the greater the chance the user makes errors that cause other problems in their models.

For example when we added importing of relationships we were very prescriptive about the format, otherwise the interpretation of the input could cause lots of problems!

I’ll discuss here and we will no doubt end up with a better solution in time.

BR

Adrian

Heather Wallace
    Participant

I am intrigued by your (Adrian’s) statement “when we added importing of relationships”. I have just re-checked the latest version 3.5.5.and the user guide is explicit that relationships are read-only. Am I missing something?

Heather

eadocX Support
    Participant

OOps. this has been built, but not release yet.
    It will be in the next release (either 3.6 or 4.0, we haven’t decided what to call it yet)

Heather Wallace
    Participant

Something to look forward to!

Heather

Guillaume Finance
    Participant

It will be useful to import relationships.

Regarding the package structure, the easiest I think would be to replicate EA CSV export/import i.e. the use of CSV_KEY,CSV_PARENT_KEY columns.

See Using Preserve Hierarchy EA Help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download