Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Print/DisplayTagged Value Notes?

Home Forums eaDocX queries Print/DisplayTagged Value Notes?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Participant

Somewhere in this forum, I remember reading that the feature to allow the notes assoicated to a Taged Value to be displayed on a document. How do I get these notes to show up in my document? I’m specificallylooking at the Requirements, Scenario, Scenario Step, and Use Case elements.

I’m using version 3.2.1.10

Thanks!

eadocX Support
    Participant

Not sure what you mean by tagged value ‘notes’? Do you mean the value of the TV, or something else?

eadocX Support
    Participant

Update:
    I found the TV.notes idea in EA – strange. Never seen it before.
    It won’t surprise you that eaDocX doesn’t support it: looks like a hard one to do, as we currently assume that when you specify an attribute to print (norma or TV) then we print the value of the attribute, and not the “notes”, which don’t exist for other non-TV attributes.
    Sorry 🙂

Aaron
    Participant

Yep…no suprises :). Any suggestions of how we can document/capture a change that was made to an element (use cases & requirements)? As an example, if we make a change to one step in a use case that contains 12 steps, we’d like to be able to call out exactly what changed – otherwise, the approvers of our requirements (business) cannot easily identify what has changed – they just see an entire use case, and are left guessing at what the change was. We were going to use the Tagged Value notes to capture the change desciption, but since they don’t print, it doesn’t help us too much.

eadocX Support
    Participant

This is always a tricky one – not really an eaDocX question, more one for EA generally….
    Two approaches supported by eaDocX

1. Use Word Compare
    – make the change in the Use Case/Scenario
    – optionally, make a note of the change in the Description field of the UC/Scenario, and make sure that gets printed in the generated document
    – then use eaDocX Document Management to compare the old & new versions of the document, or use the Word Compare directly. This will show the absolute differences between the documents
    – don’t forget, as you create the new version, to make a note of the change in the Document Version comments.

2. Use eaDocX Change Marking.
    For changes to other elements (i.e. ones which have their own ‘last updated’ attribute in EA, you can use the other eaDocX feature, and switch-on Change Marking. This will highlight things which have changed, but won’t show the before/after of the change, just the element which has changed.

Overall, this is always going to be hard, as EA doesn’t keep details of changes, just the ‘how it is now’ of the model.

Aaron
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions…we’ll give them a try!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download