Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Thanks

Home Forums eaDocX queries Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John McPherson
    Participant

As NZ is about to close down for Christmas, I thought I would take the opportunity to say thanks to the eaDocX team.

eaDocX has been one of the discoveries of the year for me. Until eaDocX I had resorted to copy and paste from EA into documents. I HATE copy and paste, but I’m no longer up for battling with report generators that are ‘tricky’ to say the least! I’d rather spend my creative energy on core BA work and sailing. One of the best things about eaDocX is that I can concentrate 90% of my effort on modelling and other BA work, confident that when it comes time to present my work in a document it will be easy to do. If I develop a new metamodel (like an impacts model I did over the last day or two), I know I can create a new profile and generate what I want. It took 15 mins to produce an impacts profile that traverses 4 different linked element types, and generates a nice table.

Thanks also to eaDocX for responses to suggestions. Name+Description is now my goto attribute. I’ve figured out how to use the EA formatting to make the Notes: look like I had done all the formatting directly in Word.

Have a great Christmas

Patrick Dubois
    Participant

Would you mind sharing the tricks you used for formatting the Notes?

John McPherson
    Participant

Hi

This is what I am aiming for:

The system shall allow users to display the Name and Description within the same cell of a table, while visually separating the actual requirement from explanatory notes.
    Notes:
    The reason for this requirement is that it is an efficient use of space. Having the name and description in different cells doesn’t look as good to me, and it takes more space. However, I like to make a clear distinction between what is the actual requirement, and what is just supporting information. If the “description” field is used for supporting information, I use a “Notes:” heading, formatted as above. I use the formatting available in EA to do this. When writing directly into the description field (in EA, after opening the properties pop-up window) I write “Notes:” at the top of the description, and use the EA formatting to format as above. I then write the actual notes as normal text. This approach gives me a clear distinction between the Requirement and the supporting information. If I wanted the description field to be a part of the formal requirement I would simply omit the “Notes:” heading.

I hope this helps. I would be happy to post some examples, in the new year, if requested. Kind Regards

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download