Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries 2 hops work but 1 hop does not?

Home Forums eaDocX queries 2 hops work but 1 hop does not?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ken Norcross
    Participant

Hi all,

I have been successfuly using a 2 hop path to print the name of (and link to) a related element.

In this case we have BPMN Activities traced to Packages which contain Use Cases. When we print inline details for Activities we also print the names of the related Use Cases, with links to the Use Case details further down in the report.

So this requires a 2-hop path to get to the Use Case names.

Activity->trace->Package
    Package->children->Use Case

I would like to switch this to just printing the name of the Package, and link to the package further down in the report.

But when I remove the second hop in the specification, I do not get the desired result.

The entry in the report for the Package name is just blank. Never prints.

I can tell the engine found something, because for some Activities there is no trace relationship, and for these the report prints “none” as the default which is correct. For the Activities that I know do have this trace relationship it prints nothing.

I have been looking hard but I do not see anything wrong with the specification. If I add the second hop back in without touching the definition of the first hop it works as before, so I know the path described by the first hop is valid.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

eadocX Support
    Participant

What happens when you just define it as a ‘normal’ Related Attribute i.e. not using the ‘Advanced’ multi-hop relationship? I’m wondering if something is going wrong when you delete the second hop of what eaDocX thinks is a multi-hop relationship. I know, these should be the same….

Ken Norcross
    Participant

Thanks but same result.

Ken Norcross
    Participant

Single hop to other element types works, seems to be an issue with Packacges as the element on the other side of the relationship.

Ken Norcross
    Participant

This just reminded me of another issue I have run across, that must be related to the issue here.

I also would like to print the name of the package that is the parent of an element, but this too prints as blank.

This should be very easy to test on your side.

Add Single Attribute of a related element for an element.

Type: Parent
    Direction: Normal

To Element Type: Any

Print name- hyperlinked

I know from scripting in Sparx that Packages have a different shape from other elements, so maybe you need some special handling here for Packages.

eadocX Support
    Participant

By mere seconds, this issue just scraped into v3.4 Beta – both issues fixed. Well, I couldn’t replicate the last one in 3.4, but the first one is certainly fixed.

Ken Norcross
    Participant

I could really use this fix today, tight deadlines.

How can I get a copy of the Beta? I do not see any obvious download link.

eadocX Support
    Participant

I’m working as fast as I can. Just building the beta now. Should be ready for use by start of business 19th Feb 2014. Lots to do to create whole new release…..

Ken Norcross
    Participant

Sorry, I thought you meant you just built it. 🙂

I will check back tomorrow, thanks!

eadocX Support
    Participant
    Ken Norcross
    Participant

Than you! I have the beta file, will be able to test as soon as our support process allows me to install the upgrade.

Ken Norcross
    Participant

Finally was able to test.

The generated reports now will properly report a Package name on the other end of a relationship.

But…it does not properly create a bookmark/link in the document, and my subsequent element cross reference report comes out empty.

If I switch back to relationships that have Use Cases on the other end all works fine.

The failure case is when you have a package on the other end of the relationship.

eadocX Support
    Participant

OK – I’ll have another look at this. I was a bad day @Sparx when they designed the Package mechanism – I spend a lot of effort trying to make Packages look like Elements, but it’s an uphill struggle.
    UPDATE: I discovered that Cross-Reference reports NEVER supported Package. Well, they will, as of the next v3.4 Beta release (Beta 2).

Ken Norcross
    Participant

Great thanks. I have had odd results with packages in a few areas in the past but I always assumed it was my lack of understanding of the product. I’m glad we found and fixed a few here. Looking forward to the next beta release, thanks.

Ken Norcross
    Participant

I see Beta 3.4.0.2 is out but I am not sure what fixes are included.

Should I pick up 3.4.0.2 for this fix?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download