Products

Home Forums eaDocX queries Document Versions Removed Following Multi-Doc Gen

Home Forums eaDocX queries Document Versions Removed Following Multi-Doc Gen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Recreated 25 documents following upgrade to eaDocX version 4.1.6.6 to enable use of the Document Management functionality and multi-doc regeneration.

Documents created and generated successfully on an individual basis without issue.

Created a diagram shell to house the 25 documents and chose to generate the set.
    This subsequently error’d during the regeneration process with what looks to be the same error as reported here:

https://store.eadocx.com/forum/2-eadocx-queries/1571-unhandled-exception-error-using-dm

Following this error, all version elements have been removed from the Document artifacts. The document versions still exist in the physical location but can no longer be seen or opened by using the Document artifact; can not find any functionality that would enable me to restore this.

I can open the document directly by going through the Extensions -> eaDocX -> Open Word Document route and eaDocX appears to recognise it as a document which has DM enabled under the Tools menu. However when I generate I get the following error ‘Document Version element is no longer in this model’, followed by ‘Internal error: please contact support@eadocx.com: code: 1067′.

Is this a known issue? If so, how do I resolve it?

Thanks.

eadocX Support
    Participant

I don’t think this is the same issue as the one you referenced – that was on a much older eaDocX version.
    I’ve tried to re-create your issue (with just 2 docs, not the full 25) and I can’t get it to fail..
    …except, when doing it repeatedly, the documents were already open in EA/eaDocX, so I had to keep closing them, or I got all kinds of errors. But this is the case for any eaDocX document -they don’t like two copies of the same document opened at the same time.
    I can’t see anywhere in the code where we delete all the previous document versions: this multi-generate just adds a new version to the existing document.
    Only things I can think of are maybe some permissions issues in your model?
    Can you re-try it with just two documents? I can email you my test case as an XMI (tiny stand-alone example) and see if that works for you? send a mail to support at eadocx dot com.

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

I haven’t attempted to redo the documents yet as I was hoping for a way to restore the links.
    I’ll work through getting a couple back in this morning between my regular work and see if I can replicate the problem.
    There were no other documents open at the time so I do wonder if it was an access issue.
    I have full admin rights to the model and the database it is stored in so unlikely to be a permission issue, wonder if it could be something to do with access to the shared drive where the documents are stored momentarily dropping.
    Will see what happens and get back to you.

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Okay, bad news first:
    I’ve attempted a regeneration with two documents and that worked fine, but when I attempted it again with five I got the original error with the loss of documents.

Good news:
    I can replicate the issue with ease as it actually appears to be certain documents which cause the error. It looks like with certain documents, when eaDocX attempts to find the document, it looks in the wrong place. As it can’t find the file, I get an unhandled exception and lose any document from that point in the generation process forward. I.e. when it error’d on document 3, I also lost 4 and 5.

I took this test one step further by adding the document back into DM and testing if I could re-open the document. If I attempt to open the document by choosing the specific version, it opens fine within eaDocX as desired. If however, I right click the Document artifact and request to open the latest version, eaDocX looks for the document in a different location to where the document is stored, can’t find it, so errors again and loses the versions as above.

All these templates were created in the latest eaDocX version in the same way:

1. Select to create new document from with eaDocX
    2. Import eaDocX profile
    3. Apply company styling
    4. Add reports (same across each document)
    5. Add packages for extraction (same model just different packages for different areas)
    6. Regenerate in local Documents folder
    7. Add to DM

Therefore I can’t see why eaDocX attempts to look in a different location for certain documents. Any ideas?

eadocX Support
    Participant

OK – this is progress.
    Can you tell where the ‘un-found’ documents are located?
    eaDocX gives you two options:
    1 – keep them as .docx Word documents on a drive somewhere
    2 – save them directly into EA (they are element.files of the eaDocXVersion elements)
    Can you tell which one you are using?
    For documents using (2), look in the Properties, in the Files section (can’t remember where this is in V12) and their should be a file like (mydocument name)(my version) – type=”Internal”
    For documents using (1) approach, there will be a different entry in ‘files’, with the name of the external file and its location. Type = “Local File”

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Using option 2 for DM.

The location of the ‘un-found’ documents appears to be going to an old OneDrive folder: ‘C:UsersUserOneDriveDocuments’

The actual location the documents are stored is on a shared drive in a folder named ‘Documentation’.

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Interestingly, I have noticed that if I open one of the document versions directly via EA, (e.g. <> 0.0.1), it creates a copy in the OneDrive location specified above.
    It does this for every document I open this way.

Is there a setting somewhere that is being used to control this as it’s not a location I have ever set personally; the folder itself is historic.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Can you double-click on the <> and open the document ?

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Double clicking the <> element opens the document and creates the copy in the OneDrive location as I specified in my previous post.

Double clicking the <> artifact opens the Document Details pop up. I can right click the artifact and ‘open the latest version’ if the document has been created in the OneDrive location. Else it bombs out and removes the links.

From what I can gather, there are two issues:
    1. If the document cannot be found, eaDocX removes all document versions from the document artifact. If this is part of a multi-doc generation it also removes all document versions following that document that haven’t been generated yet. This seems like a pretty serious bug given the effort involved in re-adding all documents for a large docco set. Have you been able to replicate this locally (imagine setting up three documents, deleting the physical document for the second document and then attempting to generate all three at once should mimic the situation I’m in)?

2. A file location appears to have been set somewhere which is causing eaDocX to create a copy of the document in an unspecified location, and also looking in said location rather than the configured area as per Document Management settings.

If we can figure out where issue 2 is being set, I can resolve my short term problem although I am very wary about continuing down this path with issue 1 outstanding.

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Okay I have figured out how to circumvent issue 2 by amending the eaDocX Application Repository settings to change my ‘Personal folder’ in DM to also point towards the shared network drive location.

This currently appears to be preventing eaDocX from creating copies of the document in an incorrect location and then falling over with issue 1 during the multi-doc process (attempted with a set of 4 documents, only increasing the ‘build’ number).

Despite this, I unfortunately can’t really use the multi-doc generation process to its full potential until issue 1 is sorted as the risk and overhead is too great with the size of the document set I’m working with (circa 50 documents).

Can you confirm if you have been able to replicate the issue and if so, whether a fix would be in the works any time soon?

Thanks.

eadocX Support
    Participant

Working on a fix now. Will advise when it’s available. Seems like there were nested errors, which cancelled each other out in my test cases.

eadocX Support
    Participant

OK -fix created, and now on website as 4.1.7.0. I’ve added more checking for non-existent documents (though this was not the issue)

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

That’s brilliant, thank you for your help on this!

Jason Blewitt
    Participant

Unfortunately no longer appear to be able use the multi doc generation capability.
    Upon installing the latest version of eaDocX and attempting to use the multi document generation capability, I get the attached error.

This error appears when I right clicked on the diagram and selected the following option:
    Extensions -> eaDocX -> Generate all documents

eadocX Support
    Participant

Ah – rats – forgot I added a new bit of UI, so should have changed the installer.
    New version – 4.1.7.1 now on the website – sorry about that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Compare licence prices

Choose the licence that’s right for you and your team

Prices

Download a free trial

Download eaTeamWorks today for several free for life features, plus no obligation, 30-day trials of all the products: eaDocX, ea Revision Manager, eaSheets, Model Expert and PortfolioManager. Discover for yourself why we sell the world’s best-selling Enterprise Architect extension.

Download